There many people who would give a lot to increase their metabolism. Metabolism is the rate by which the body produces and consumes energy and calories to support life. Having a high level of metabolism allows you to burn fat and lose weight fast with the least amount of activity.
There are several things that affect the metabolism of a person, such as the amount of muscle tissue, how often you eat meals, genetics, stress levels, personal diet and activity levels. A decrease in metabolism becomes an issue for most and occurs due to the following:
- The loss of muscle because of not enough physical activity
- The tendency of the body to eat its own tissue because there is not enough food energy to sustain it
- Decrease of physical activity that comes naturally with old age
- Other medical conditions.
Here Are 12 Ways To Fire Up Your Metabolism:
- Build up on lean, mean body mass. It is only natural that metabolism decreases along with age, but it is possible to counter the effects. The amount of muscle a person has is a very strong determinant in the ability to burn calories and shed fat. So, it goes without saying that exercise is essential. Build strength and resistance by working out at least twice a week. Do easy exercises such as walking and using the stairs in place of the elevator in between workouts to further increase your metabolism. The key is to match the amount of what you are eating to the amount of activity you are doing. Here are some guidelines in getting the right exercise:
For strength training:
- Increase the amount of repetitions of a particular exercise.
- Add a level of resistance
- Utilize advance exercise techniques if possible
For cardiovascular training
- Insert intervals between exercises
- Perform cross-training and combine the exercises
- Add up on resistance and speed
- Eat breakfast. A lot of people are ignoring the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Surprisingly, the ones who eat breakfast are thinner than the ones who do not. Your metabolism can slow down considerably if breakfast is taken during mid-morning or if you wait until the afternoon to eat.
- Avoid sugar. Sugar enables the body to store fat, therefore it is recommended that you consume food that helps sustain an even level of blood-sugar (ex. Berries, spinach, cinnamon, lentils).
- Eat spicy foods. Cuisines with hot peppers can increase metabolism.
- Sleep more. Per research, it is riskier for people who do not get enough sleep to gain weight. Also, muscles are regenerated during the last couple of hours of slumber.
- Increase water intake. Water flushes out toxins that are produced whenever the body burns fat. Majority of bodily functions involves water thus the lack of water causes the body system’s operations to decrease its speed.
- Eat smaller meals. It is advisable to consume 4 to 6 small meals that are timed 2 to 3 hours apart.
- Never skip meals. People tend to skip meals to lose weight, but is a big mistake because it slows down metabolism.
- Plan meals in detail. Always prepare the right amount of food to be consumed at the designated intervals. Do not make the mistake of eating meals in sporadic patterns.
- Ditch the stress! Stress, be it physical or emotional, triggers the release of a steroid called cortisol, which decreases metabolism. Also, people tend to eat excessively when stressed. Read 10 Ways to De-stress to help decrease the stress in your life.
- Guzzle up on green tea. It can be used as a substitute for coffee. Tea can stimulate metabolism, and unlike coffee, it has no undesirable side effects when too much is consumed.
- Include more energy foods in the diet, such as fruits and vegetables, beans and whole grains.
Achieving the desired body weight is never impossible if one has the determination and patience needed to stabilize the metabolism level, which plays an important role in weight loss. You need to realize that eating right and working out is not just a passing fancy, but a way of life.